Hey! I'm Josh, the founder of MakerBars and I'd like to personally thank-you for your interest in my recipe. MakerBars is about challenging the status quo to the foods we eat and bringing a mouthful of innovation. - Josh Reding
These black bean burgers are the tastiest vegan meal with an added little crunch from the hemp seeds! There are several secret ingredients, and we will dive deep into why to use them.
I know, I know, most people don't like vegan burgers and they're hard to impress your friends with. This recipe is a game changer!
I personally never enjoyed black bean burgers for their texture, until I found two secret ingredients: Hemp seeds and oats.
Let's step inside!
This recipe makes a lot of patties! More the merrier for these because they can get a bit messy. Store the extra veg burgs in the freezer for a few months if you want (if they last that long)!
Josh's Secret #1: Oats for holding it all together
Josh's Secret #2: Hemp Seeds for adding that crunch, texture, and protein
This picture is to show you how the mixture comes together at the end of mixing. It isn't too runny, and its like handling ground meat. That's what I was going for as I knew you could turn it into patties. You need to focus on the texture a lot or else your burgers will fall apart while frying.
FRY 'EM UP
Just a thin layer of oil and you'll be on your way for frying. Using oil is really important to get the right texture, bring out flavour, and create the right heat for the burger to actually seal itself off. Don't try to be healthy on me and use no oil. That's weird!
What You Need
- 1 Can (14oz ) of Black Beans, drained, well rinsed
- 2C Frozen Peas and Carrots
- 1 Medium Onion - Peeled
- 1/2C to 1C Partially Processed Hemp Seeds (or any tasty seeds to add that crunch to your burgers)
- 2/3C Oats - Ground (Can substitute oat flour)
- 1/4C Olive Oil (or coconut oil)
- 3-4tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Mustard
- 1-2tbsp Miso Paste (can use soy sauce or Tamari if you don't have miso paste)
- 1 egg (optional - adds protein and helps hold it all together)
Special Spices - The Secret To Tasty Burgers
- 2 (Heaping) Tbsps of Chili powder
- 1tsp Garlic Powder
- 1tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1tsp Cumin
- 1tsp Salt
- Optional: 1/2tsp Jerk seasoning
- Start by prepping and measuring out your ingredients. You will want to process the oats and hemp seeds in a food processor separately. The hemp seeds might not break down much, that's okay.
- The rest of this depends on the size of your food processor. I have a little one and it worked!
- Process your beans. Process your peas and carrots. Process your onion until its a liquid. If you have a large processor you can start adding spices too.
- Empty and pour all ingredients into a large bowl. Mixing time! Reference the texture picture above for the consistency you want. You're gonna want to mix this really well. There is so much flavour in those spices.
- Let sit. I usually pop mine in the fridge ahead of time to let the oats do their magic in congealing the mixture together. If you added an egg, you might not need to do this. (Cooking secrets revealed!)
- Heat your pan. Rookie move if you use a cold pan. That just makes your oil soak into your burger and not actually frying it. I don't remember anyone liking soggy fries, that's what's going on there.
- Time to get dirty. Scoop out a double ice cream scoop size ball, and begin forming it into a meat-ball like idea.
- Slap one in the pan and flatten it out with a spatula! Wazam! Fry for about 5 minutes per side (likely can fit 4 per pan).
- Again this makes a lot and you can likely freeze the remaining. You should fry them ahead. I think this is a great meal prep!
- Enjoy :) I top mine with avocados, chili, and green tomatillo sauce.
Thanks for reading! Stay tuned for more recipes and exclusive updates in our email newsletter.